Re: chkrootkit indicates infection

Author: Josh Coffman
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: chkrootkit indicates infection

--- Josh Coffman <> wrote:

> I just installed rkhunter and chkrootkit and ran
> them.
> chkrootkit gave me one infected message:
>
> Checking `bindshell'... INFECTED (PORTS: 4000)
>
> What can I do to find out more? I'm not sure if this
> message really means I have a problem or just
> something I need to investigate.
>
> btw, rkhunter seemed to say everything checks out.
> Just a couple things were in yellow text which I
> can't
> read against the white console background.
>
> -j

changed the console colors and tried rkhunter again..
rkhunter did give me this:

* Filesystem checks
   Checking /dev for suspicious files...
       [ OK ]
   Scanning for hidden files...
       [ Warning! ]
 /dev/.udevdb  /usr/share/man/man1/..1.gz  /etc/.java
/etc/.pwd.lock
Please inspect:  /dev/.udevdb (directory)  /etc/.java
(directory)