Re: [OT] Life of CD-R's and/or CD-RW's

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: ggambill, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: [OT] Life of CD-R's and/or CD-RW's
On Wednesday 12 October 2005 06:23 am George kindly wrote:
> Some time ago I seem to remember a thread here on the life
> expectancy of home spun CD-R's and/or CD-RW's. The general opinion
> seemed to be 3 years.
>
> Does anyone remember if that time period was for both CD-R's and
> CD-RW's or for CD-RW's only or for CD-R's only

I don't have a direct answer to your question, but one thing that
shortens the life of CDs is writing directly on them with
solvent-based inks like Sharpie pens. If you use that type of ink,
just write in the clear portion near the center hole in the disk.

Or, you can get a solvent-free eFilm pen from Delkin. They're made for
writing on CDs, plus have the added benefit that they're safer for
you, too, since the fumes from solvent-based inks contain toluene and
other carcinogens.

FWIW...

Siri Amrit