Re: problem detecting ethernet card

Author: Dale Farnsworth
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: problem detecting ethernet card
On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 02:12:28AM +0000, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> Thanks, Augie. I'm using Debian and was able to find the file. Put
> "auto eth0" into it. It looked like:
> ----------------------------
> # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)
>
> # The loopback interface
> # automatically added when upgrading
> auto lo eth0
> auto eth0
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> ---------------------------

Oops, now there are two lines containing "auto eth0". You didn't need
to add the "auto eth0" line, since the "auto lo eth0" line was there.

> Then I put "eepro100" into /etc/modules and rebooted. It wasn't good.
> I got this error message at boot:
>
> # modprobe eepro100
> # ifup eth0
> /etc/network/interfaces:6: interface declared auto twice

Yep, it was.

> ifup: couldn't read interfaces file "/etc/network/interfaces"
>
> My system started to hang badly and I had to reboot.
>
> Sooooo, I'm back to manually typing in "modprobe eepro100" then "ifup
> eth0" after reboots.
>
> Any ideas?

The key is to find out what is overwriting /etc/modules.
On my Debian systems, it never gets overwritten. How about
posting the contents of your /etc/modules file?

-Dale