CORRECTION Re: problem detecting ethernet card

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: CORRECTION Re: problem detecting ethernet card
On Monday 10 October 2005 06:43 am Siri Amrit Kaur kindly wrote:
> On Sunday 09 October 2005 11:26 pm Kenneth kindly wrote:
> > > I did it and it seemed to work, then it did it again- lost the
> > > module after a reboot and I had to do:
> > > modprobe eepro100
> > > ifup eth0
> > >
> > > Checked the /etc/modules file and the line for eepro100 was
> > > gone. Anybody know why it decided to disappear after I had put
> > > it in there?
> >
> > What about your boot messages? Does the module try to load at
> > boot and fail? Or does it never try at all?
>
> Here's what dmesg shows from the last boot. To my uneducated eyes,
> it looks like the module loaded, but when I checked /etc/modules it
> wasn't in there:

I was wrong, the module did not load at boot. dmesg showed the above
_after_ I ran # modprobe eepro100, then # ifup eth0

I just added the line
eepro100 to /etc/modules, saved the file, then rebooted. The module
did NOT load. Then I ran (as root):
modprobe eepro10 -followed by- ifup eth0

That showed up in dmesg. So the module is not loading at boot, in
spite of being added to /etc/modules. It disappears
from /etc/modules...