Re: too many choices (distros)

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: Micah DesJardins, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: too many choices (distros)
On Wednesday 05 October 2005 03:39 pm Micah DesJardins kindly wrote:
> As much as we keep talking about the differences, the reality is
> (for me at least) that there really aren't that many big
> differences:
>
> Basically you're looking at .deb distros, .rpm distros, or source
> distros. Beyond that it's all about the distro philosophy, the
> relative "speed" of the project's distribution cycle,
> community/third party support and what it is you're looking for in
> a distribution.
>
> Anybody else feel the same? (or differently?)
>
> Micah

There's also a difference in init systems- how the system launches
it's applications and services. Slackware and it's derivatives use
the BSD-style init system. Most other Linuxes use the SysV-init.

I started with Mandrake 8.0. Tried a lot of different distros because
I wanted to learn. It wasn't until my second try of Slackware that I
really started learning much. Slack uses the BSD-style init system. I
find it much simpler to understand than SysV. I've tried and tried to
understand how to turn something on or off in a SysV system, and
people in this list have tried to help me, but I just don't get it. I
don't know if I like Slack's setup because it was the first one I
learned, or I learned it because it's just simpler than SysV. Being
able to understand and tweak the init system can be an important
thing to consider.

Siri Amrit