Re: too many choices (distros)

Author: Josh Coffman
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: too many choices (distros)

--- Craig White <> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 15:26 -0700, Josh Coffman
> wrote:
> >

> > I read an artilce saying they clocked mandriva
> 2006 at
> > 26 seconds for boot. It's got me thinking. Will
> > probably try to speed up FC4 before I think too
> hard
> > about it.
> ----
> this quickboot stuff is sort of like Microsoft
> trickery, load enough of
> the authentication system to get user logon to occur
> before everything
> is loaded to give the user impression of fast start.
> It is all about
> impression and not reality.
>
> I think that they had that somewhat working on FC-4
> but backed off it
> because of other, perhaps more important boot up
> issues.
>
> Craig
>

> --

early-login.. it's there just not enabled by default.
Have to add and enable the service, then add an option
to the kernel line in grub.conf.

some trickery, some not. I need to really consider
what needs to be there in boot and what doesn't.

My desktop only rarely gets rebooted, so boot time
isn't a concern. My laptop is another story.