Re: too many choices (distros)

+ (text/html)
Author: Micah DesJardins
To: alandd, Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: too many choices (distros)
Alan,

I also look forward to that day. I imagine we'll see it about the time when
using these different variants requires as little documentation and training
as sampling a new and exotic food dish.

Unfortunately your car analogy is a lot more on the mark. If someone invests
a few years in learning how to maintain and repair mid 80s Hondas, a 2004
Chevy or Ford doesn't hold the same appeal as it would to someone who hasn't
made that investment. *Even if the Chevy or Ford has more or better
features.

It's the investment in learning how a system works that tends to tie people
to their OS and distribution choices. I'm not saying choice is bad. Choice
is good! but there is such a thing as too much choice. If you have a
thousand pennies that all look alike from a distance, but one of them is
extremely rare and valuable, you'll have a much harder time locating the
item of great worth than you would if you only had ten pennies to examine
and choose from.

Luckily for all of us, *nices have far more similarities than they do
differences but there is still a long way to go in terms of standardizing on
names and tools.

Interesting thread tangent though!

Micah