Re: OT: Suggestions for DSL and VOIP

Author: Siri Amrit Kaur
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: OT: Suggestions for DSL and VOIP
On Wednesday 28 September 2005 09:36 am Craig White kindly wrote:
> One of the problems that I see that you get into is to worry about
> things before you know all of the details.

I tend to start things then later find out a little detail I didn't
know about is a dealbreaker if I can't get it worked out. I hate it
when that happens.

> Qwest has typically shipped a router/modem combination (Actiontec)
> with wireless in the past which would probably give you what you
> need in a firewall. A different ISP might arrange a different modem
> be sent.

I wasn't talking about wireless- don't even want to think about that.
I don't know anything about routers or modem connections, so unless
someone had mentioned a firewall to me, I wouldn't have even thought
to ask about it.

> Why not choose your ISP, get the DSL stuff ordered and see what
> you get before you put everyone through the paces of what you
> might want to use for a firewall.

Of course, that's good advice. I'm glad Alan mentioned I'll need a
firewall. Now that I know that, and I'm assuming it could maybe be a
router and not necessarily a separate box like IPcop, I know a little
better what questions to ask when I talk to some providers.