need help getting started -- probably w Knoppix

+ (text/html)
Author: Mike Schwartz
To: plug-discuss
CC: Alan Dayley, Mike L Schwartz
Subject: need help getting started -- probably w Knoppix
I am Mike Schwartz - a member of the Aztec Free-Net
(see previous news items posted here, by "av567" [me]).

In the future I may be able to help other Newbies,
but first I need to get started on Gnu/Linux myself.
My interest in this has increased recently,
partly as a reaction to some of the things written
recently about MS in the mainstream press, and
partly since I have a computer at home
that I'd like to use to start learning more about
FOSS. This is my request for help getting started.

At a stammtisch meeting, I asked about a dual-boot
capability and someone suggested that, by starting
with Knoppix, there is no need to modify my OS loader;
I have never used a "bootable CD" (or, DVD) to run
Linux before, and I have still yet to read a couple
of books on Linux that I got from the library.
Someone suggested that, rather than try to download
Knoppix myself, and create (burn) a CD, instead to
find someone who already has one, or who could create
one. If you are that person, please reply.
I am planning to attend the Sept. 27 West Side
meeting of PLUG. If you can help me, I would
appreciate it and maybe do something good in return.
:: PS ::
I think there is a way I can "reply" to this posting,
with a "comment" that would show up in the same thread.
I guess I will try to do that, if/when there is anything
new (such as, "never mind" for some reason)
Thanks,
Mike Schwartz
Glendale AZ
Home: 623-561-1223