Re: rsh crazyness

Author: Tony Wasson
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: rsh crazyness
On 9/21/05, Sean Roe <> wrote:
> I am running the following command to execute this from the client:
>
> rsync --verbose --verbose --progress --compress --rsh=/usr/bin/rsh
> --stats root@fargo:/backup/20050921/* /data/backup/today/
>
> I finally got it working by adding the -h flag to the line
> shell   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.rshd -Lh

> in inetd.conf
>
> Is there a faster way then this to copy the files over?

Glad you got it going. ssh + compression is a nice secure solution.
For maximum speed, you can running an rsync server. It looks like are
copying a daily backup, are you doing this throughout the day? Have
you thought about mounting a remote file system and putting your
backup files there as your create them?