Re: jobs & salaries

Author: Ed Skinner
To: Main PLUG discussion list, Josh Coffman
Subject: Re: jobs & salaries
Entry- and mid-level Linux jobs in programming are rare. Most of them
went off-shore over the past ten years. Some high-level Linux programming
jobs persist, however, and many of them are responsible for overseeing the
off-shore work as much as for writing code.
     There are at least two general areas where Linux programmers can make a
good living in the US. First is defense work. To put it succinctly, the DOD
does not want a missile that was developed by programmers in the People's
Republic of China. That work will remain within the confines of the US. (Open
source's very openness is one of the concerns in this area -- but please,
let's not open that can of worms again. Human nature is not always amenable
to reasoned arguments.)
     Second, very small, entrepreneurial companies where developers are the
"Jack of all trade" types with expertise in hardware as well as software is
another area where Linux can shine. Indeed, the Linux guy/gal may be the sole
technical resource in the company and he/she draws on whatever resources are
necessary to get the job done. This, I believe, is *the* place where Linux
can really be put to good use.
     Within those two categories, the money is good, sometimes very good and
often has the promise of pre-IPO shares in the second case. (But only one in
ten start-ups will survive, evolve, and/or be acquired to make those shares
worth anything. [Come on, MontaVista!])
     Common tools are vi and emacs, make and the shell (i.e., scripts). These
are the common tools because a great many of the developers in the above two
categories are "old timers" and they are highly skilled and extremely
productive with those tools. Those younger than "old timers" tend to prefer
GUIs mostly because that's what they learned on and, therefore, that's what
they are most productive with. And there's an over-lapping category of those
who have made the effort to learn both and, depending on the demands of the
job or task, can pick and choose the "best" tools. ("Best" may be a
political, not a technical, decision.)
     One of my favorite GUI tools is Source-Navigator. My favortism is partly
due to my familiarity with it but, overall, I still think it is one of the
best when you need to work with unfamiliar code. (I'm using it now for a
decidedly non-Linux-targetted effort.) But I still prefer Makefiles and vi
simply because I can get more done in less time with them.
     My advice to beginners is: learn Mandarin.

     The Cynic.

--
Ed Skinner, , http://www.flat5.net/
and http://conventionalpistol.blogspot.com/