Booting Linux from Linux

Author: Victor Odhner
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Booting Linux from Linux
I am about to install Kanotix rooted at /dev/hda6, with XP/ntfs on hda1
and fat32 on hda5.

This is on my friend's ratty old PC across town (39th & Camelback), and
I have to talk him through the process laboriously on the phone, so I
need this as simple as possible. But here comes the complication:

I want this to have exactly zero impact on the boot sector, to begin
with. So I will tell it to put grub on /dev/hda6, the root partition,
rather than on the boot segment.

At the moment, the floppy is not working on the box in question, so I
can't boot this installation in any of the normal ways.

If I boot up the Kanotix live CD, is there a command or sequence I can
use from there to force a reboot on the newly installed kernel, and
using /mnt/hda6 as the root? Let's assume the new kernel is
/mnt/hda6/boot/vmlinuz, I'll adjust as needed.

Thanks,

Vic