Re: WAP purchase recommendations?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: WAP purchase recommendations?
Kurt Granroth wrote:

> I also recommend the wrt54g(s) ... or for that matter, the older
> Linksys router models. I'm running over the 802.11b router now
> (forgetting the model number, offhand).
>
> I am curious what your budget is, though. The wrt54g typically runs
> around $50-$60. Most of the major manufacturer models (D-Link,
> Netgear, etc) will have their wireless routers at a similar price ...
> maybe $10 or $20 cheaper, at most.

Well, I was looking for something "just good enough" and hoping to find
it around the famous Fry's Airlink 101 special of $17. Ebay has some
older stuff going for less than $10 but is it worth it? Probably not.

However, I am rapidly steering away from that idea. The WRT54G is the
one I have wanted for a while based on it's hackability. And I am
rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should get what I want, not what
I can get by with.

My budget constraints can be summarized by two important points:
- - I have two daughters in high school band and two boys in scouts. :^)
- - I have a wife who supports my geekiness but would rather not pay for
it. ;^) (Don't tell her I said that!)

I was just attempting to minimize the outflow of cash.

I'll probably end up springing for the WRT54G. In fact, late last
night, discussing what I was shopping for, my wife asked me why I don't
go ahead and get one. :^)

Alan