Display Problems at boot

Author: Mark Phillips
To: PLUG
Subject: Display Problems at boot
I just purchased a new LCD monitor and I am seeing something very strange when
I login using gdm.

Here is the sequence of events:
1. Power on.
2. LCD screen is blank and displays "Mode not supported"
2. Dell messages appear on the screen (Mode message disappears), bios does its
thing - checks memory etc.
3. LCD screen goes blank and a message appears - "Mode not Supported"
4. The Mode message disappears and the boot text flies by on the screen
(normal booting process)
5. I get another blank screen with "Mode not supported". However, now the
sreen remains blank. If I just blindly type in my user name and password to
gdm, the machine logs me in and the screen displays the normal X-Windows
pattern as it brings up the desktop.

What is somewhat painful is the gdm login window never appears. I guess one
could call this a super secure machine - one only gets one shot at logging in
since the gdm windows is invisible. ;-)

If anyone has a suggestion as how to get my gdm login screen back, I would
really appreciate it.

Note: this only happens with my new LCD monitor. Once I login, there are no
problems. It is a nice monitor, and I would hate to have to return it!

Thanks!
--
Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc