Re: Fedora beating me down... any distro suggestions?

Author: Josh Coffman
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Fedora beating me down... any distro suggestions?

--- Craig White <> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-08-29 at 09:11 -0700, Josh Coffman
> wrote:
> > Let me say first, I like Fedora if only for the
> fact
> > I've learned a lot getting it working on my
> laptop.
> >
> > I'd like a distro that will run well on my hp
> z5440
> > laptop, and is easy to update, and makes a good
> > desktop for non-techies. This weekend I went to
> > moviefone.com to check previews for some movies
> and it
> > wouldn't play any even though I have the mplayer
> > plugin installed in firefox. I don't mind solving
> > problems; actually I kinda like it. I just want to
> do
> > it all the time.
> >
> > I'm thinking of Mepis or Ubuntu or OpenSuSe.
> > Whichever I choose for the laptop may end up going
> on
> > the desktop also. Any opinions?
> ----
> I think that when it's all said and done, it's hard
> to do better than
> fedora for cutting edge support of hardware and
> software.
>
> That being said, using mplayer with various
> microsoft/apple/realplayer
> codecs is likely to be a poor indicator of
> distribution support since
> all of them require support for non-gpl software and
> have to be
> installed post original install.
>
> You don't say which fedora you are using or
> where/how you obtained
> mplayer and the various codecs and stuff that are
> installed so I
> personally can't be of much help to your situation.
>
> I do think that it would be a good idea for you to
> try installing the
> various distributions and reporting back your
> impression of each as they
> would represent your impressions.
>
> Craig

I'm using FC4 (via CD from ISO's) for both my hp z5440
laptop and my AMD XP 1700 based desktop. I believe I
used make/make install for mplayer on the laptop and
then found an rpm for the codecs.... haven't messed
much with it in a few weeks so I don't remember.

The desktop I definitely used Yum/Yumex to get mplayer
isnstalled, and I don't think I installed codecs.

I'm at work, so I'll have to check the codecs on both
tonight. If that's it, it will probably make me hold
onto Fedora a little longer.

Cutting edge soft and hardware support is part of the
reason I choose Fedora after trying several distros
and liking the Debian based ones. Hey, I like
Synaptic; which I do have working on FC4.

I'll send my Mepis review in another thread; based on
my first experiences with it.