Re: Configured kernel source code ... What is it

Author: Bart Garst
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Configured kernel source code ... What is it
G Gambill wrote:
> What does "Configured kernel source code" mean?

When building a kernel, it is necessary to select which options you want
compiled into it. For example, I have a single processor in my mobo. For
this system I would configure my kernel to use a single processor
instead of multi processors (SMP).

The config process is done with `make xconfig`, or `make menuconfig`, or
similar. Complete details on this can be found in the README file
found in the top level of the kernel source (usually found in
/usr/src/linux if a package management system installed the sources).

> I am wanting to install the drivers for Airlink USB WiFi Adapter (ZyDAS
> ZD1211) on a Centos 4 box and the instructions contain the following
> paragraph.
>
> - To build zd1211 you will need: Configured kernel source code for the
> kernel you are running.

Basically, you will need:
- kernel sources that match the kernel you are running
- the config file your kernel was built with

Debian kernels ship with the config file (/boot/config-2.x.x). I don't
think I ever found one with a redhat kernel though. I don't know about
centos.

If you can't find the config file for your kernel you might have to
build a complete kernel along with your new driver. That's the only way
I know to insure the configs match.

If you attempt to build and use a new kernel, *never* delete your
current one. It is common to have more than one kernel and select which
one you want from your bootloader menu.

Bart