Re: Network setup advice?

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Network setup advice?
Alex Dean wrote:
> Jared Anderson wrote:
>
>> Unless the router or switch has a crossover port, you will need a
>> crossover
>> cable. What type of cable will you be running? I'm assuming CAT5? You
>> just need to
>> buy the CAT5 and terminate the cable accordingly.
>>

> How do I recognize a crossover port? The ports on my current router are
> WAN,1,2,3,4. I'm connecting from the DSL modem to router via the WAN
> port with a patch cable. For that matter, how do I spot a patch vs.
> crossover cable if I've forgotten to label them? The order of the wires
> in the jack, correct?
>
>> Just a suggestion: if you have the resources, you should run conduit
>> throughout the
>> house, then run the cables through them, IMO.
>>
> I was going to just drill a hole in the ceiling, push the cabling up
> there, go up into the crawlspace, drag the cable to the end of the
> house, and drop it down through another hole I drill. Are you talking
> about pvc or metal tubing I'd put the cable inside? I hadn't considered
> that - what's the benefits?

I recommend going with Conduit also, the benefits have already been mentioned by Jared, here's a (short) How-To.
For what you've described:
You want PVC. Either the "Flex" conduit you can get at Home Depot/Lowes (It's blue and corrugated, Jared called it "Smurf Tube"), or the "Armored" flex conduit you can sometimes find at Home Depot (It's gray, somewhat thicker than the blue, and it's a LOT easier to run cable through, it costs a bit more, though).
You should also get 2 connector boxes (blue or gray PVC), 2 in-wall add-on junction boxes (they're blue and have a round connection and twist-out flaps to hold them behind the drywall), and 2 network connection plates (like phone jacks, but with RJ45 connectors).
Measure the entire run, from the floor, up *through* ceiling, across crawlspace, back through ceiling to the floor in the second room. Obtain the required materials and cut 3 sections of conduit, 2 for the walls, 1 for the crawlspace.
Run 8 strands of 150Lb monofilament fishing line through the three sections, including the connection boxes, and tape down to the 2 ends, DO NOT connect the conduit together yet.
Carry the whole assembly up into the crawlspace (A helper is REALLY nice to have at this point).
Find the two wall tops, and lay out the conduit from walltop to walltop.
Go to walltop 1. Drill a 1-1/8" hold in the wall header (be sure the wall is NOT load-bearing [i.e. it only has 1 board on top, not 2]), and feed the wall conduit into the hole (you might encounter an obstacle down in the wall, checking with a studfinder beforehand and avoiding outside walls is a good idea, if you do hit something, you'll need to use an extension bit to drill a hole in that and use fishtape to guide the conduit).
Attach the connection box to the wall conduit. Position the connection box so the connection port lines up with the hole in the wall header and secure in place (nails or screws).
Connect the crawlspace conduit to the first connection box.
Proceed to the second walltop.
Drill a 1-1/8" hold in the wall header (be sure the wall is NOT load-bearing [i.e. it only has 1 board on top, not 2]), and feed the wall conduit into the hole (you might encounter an obstacle down in the wall, checking with a studfinder beforehand and avoiding outside walls is a good idea, if you do hit something, you'll need to use an extension bit to drill a hole in that and use fishtape to guide the conduit).
Attach the connection box to the wall conduit. Position the connection box so the connection port lines up with the hole in the wall header and secure in place (nails or screws).
Connect the crawlspace conduit to the second connection box.

Now go down into the first room.
Use a keyhole saw to create a 6cmX8.5cm (wXh) hole in the drywall about 20cm above the floor directly beneath the connection box in the crawlspace.
Find the bottom end of the conduit and pull it out through the hole.
Feed the conduit into the junction box and secure.
Fit the box into the drywall and secure.
Proceed to the second room.
Use a keyhole saw to create a 6cmX8.5cm (wXh) hole in the drywall starting 20cm above the floor directly beneath the connection box in the crawlspace.
Find the bottom end of the conduit and pull it out thought the hole.
Feed the conduit into the junction box and secure.
Fit the box into the drywall and secure.

Now pull one of the monofilament strands free, SECURELY tie that strand to the end of your network cable. Tape the entire front end of the cable with electrical tape so it's a smooth bulge (no sharp edges or indentations that could catch on something).
Go to the other room and SLOWLY pull the cable through the conduit. It's a REALLY good idea to have someone in the other room make sure the cable feeds into the wall smoothly. If you feel any catching, stop and check the cable to be sure you haven't caught up on something. If you're still caught, check the connection boxes in the crawlspace, that's the most common point where things get caught.
Once the cable is pulled through, remove the tape and untie the monofilament. If you're pulling unterminated cable (CAT5 or CAT6, CAT6 is a better choice, since it supports Gigabit better), now strip the wires and connect the jack terminator. If you're pulling a terminated CAT5 patch cable, plug it into the jack , attach a strain-relief collar to the junction box, and close up the wallplate.
Terminate the cable in the same way at the other end, and you're done.

This project should take 3-4 hours, somewhat longer if you don't have a second person to help. Total cost should be around $30 for basic materials and about $1/foot for conduit and cable.

One more note; make sure whatever cable you use is "plenum" rated. If it isn't, then it becomes a fire hazard, and it's a violation of building codes to use it in a crawlspace. Most "bulk" cable is plenum rated, many patch cables are not.