Re: Non-X system.

Author: JD Austin
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Non-X system.

Major.Mikey wrote:

>If you don't remember I have a second computer which is a pentium I
>65536KB which will load NetBSD but I want to be able to get help from you guys
>(and gals). I was thinking that perhaps the reason it keeps running out of
>memory when I load Mepis (or one of those) and not BSD) is that it is loading
>the GUI when I load a live CD which has been installed to HD. As such, this
>means I need to get a distro which is not from a 'Live CD'.
>
>So, does my thought process sound logical here? I'm pretty sure that I can do
>this with Debian but was wondering what other distro will allow you to not
>load X. (don't remind me about cntrl-alt-F1 to F8, it runs out of memory when
>it loads X)

I have loaded X on systems like that, the trick is picking a light
weight window manager.
In the past I've loaded KDE/whatever and then used icewm as the default
window manager instead.
Regarding your question.. all distributions will allow you to not load X.

JD

--
JD Austin
Twin Geckos Technology Services LLC