Re: Adding linux servers to a MS Small Buisness doamain

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Adding linux servers to a MS Small Buisness doamain
> Ok, I have a MS 2003 Small Business Server and I want to add a second
> server to the domain.
> Problem - Small Business Server only allows one server per domain (This
> is intentional on the part of MS)
> Question - Does this include Linux servers?
> Thought - I know one can add a Linux server to an MS domain and use
> domain level permissions and have transparent access from windows
> machines, and the one server lock may be a MS server looking for
> another MS server, so perhaps a Linux server would go unnoticed.
>
> Problem - I have only seen this done with domains that have no silly
> -one server- restrictions AND I do not actually remember how to do it
> so I can not test it on an old box.

I am not a highly experienced network admin but...

The restriction is that there be only one *domain* server per domain.
Where I work, we have two Win2003 servers, one is the domain controller
the other also provides services on the same network without problems. We
also have two Linux servers on the same network.

I'm don't think there is a problem here unless you want two domain
controllers on one domain, which I know not how to do and suspect is not
allowed.

Alan