Server Question: Deligating sphears of power to sub admins

Author: Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu
To: plug-discuss
CC: ASULUG
New-Topics: Re: Server Question: Delegating spheres of power to sub admins
Subject: Server Question: Deligating sphears of power to sub admins
I have a box I am setting up for my office, it is basically a file server and
I am using FC3 for now. What I would like to do is delegate some people the
ability to add users and give those users permissions to a set of subfolders
in a folder. While giving another person similar permissions to add users and
allocate permissions to only another set of folders.

So I am not that good with Linux permissions, can I create a group such that
the admin of that group can add a user and said admin will only be able to
assign said user to that group? And then modify permissions based upon the
restrictions of that group?

For example, say group the group "Golf" can have any combination of
permissions to any folder inside the Golf folder, but nothing outside of it?

I ask because I would like to teach the person who has decision over their
directory to administer it, but do not have complete faith that they will lock
down the users correctly, so I would like to restrict what they can do without
my intervention, but do not want to deal with every user addition/subtraction
or permission change..

BTW users of one set of folders will, as far as I know, never use another set.