Re: Witch Distro(s) will Adjust an Existing Partition

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Witch Distro(s) will Adjust an Existing Partition
G Gambill wrote:

> I seem to remember someone on this list stating that some of the distro(s)
> will permit the repartitioning or a disk with an existing OS allowing a dual
> boot system.
>
> I have recently reloaded Win 2K on my laptop providing lots of un-segmented
> disk space which might permit such a repartition.
>
> The questions are:
>
> Am I remembering correctly?
>
> Which distro(s) will do this?
>
> Will FC4?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> George

Just about any distro will allow you to create partitions in unused
space (actually, all probably do). If the existing ntfs (win2k)
partition takes up the whole drive, it needs to be resized (shrunken). I
don't know for sure if FC4 will resize an existing ntfs partition or
not, but I don't think so. The only distro I'm aware of that resizes
ntfs automagically is Suse (recent versions). That being said, I don't
think that's a good reason to pick any particular distro. You can use
systemrescuecd and qtparted to resize your ntfs partition, then install
any distro you like into the (newly freed) unused space.

--
-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;