Re: problems with network install of Suse 9.3?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: problems with network install of Suse 9.3?
Technomage wrote:

> I hate to say this, but they did. its in the 9.3 EULA Click through
> agreement. :(
>

> That was specifically found in their 9.3 installer agreement page (located on
> the 9.3 distro disc dvd.).
>
> I think it may be ime to take novel to task on this. the EULA sounds a lot
> more like one authored for UNIX or Netware than a linux distribution.

I downloaded the network install boot ISO from
ftp://suse.cs.utah.edu/pub/suse.com/suse/i386/9.3/iso/ and loop back
mounted it. In the file /media.1/info.txt is the "SUSE LINUX
PROFESSIONAL 9.3 Novell Software License Agreement"

This agreement does not match the one you cite in that the two
paragraphs you quote appear in different sections of the file I
found. I'll focus on what the document I found states, since I have
this and not the one you have.

It has the paragraphs you cited but in a different order and in
different sections of the document. However, this one also has
statements before those sections, such as:

"The Software is a modular operating system. Most of the components
are open source packages, developed independently, and accompanied
by separate license terms. Your license rights with respect to
individual components accompanied by separate license terms are
defined by those terms; nothing in this Agreement (including, for
example, the "Other License Terms and Restrictions," below) shall
restrict, limit, or otherwise affect any rights or obligations You
may have, or conditions to which You may be subject, under such
license terms."

And again

"The Software may be bundled with other software programs ("Bundled
Programs"). Your license rights with respect to Bundled Programs
accompanied by separate license terms are defined by those terms;
nothing in this Agreement shall restrict, limit, or otherwise affect
any rights or obligations You may have, or conditions to which You
may be subject, under such license terms."

Are you saying that such statements do not exist in the
click-through version you have?

The bottom line is to make sure you have all the details and the
facts, from the entire document before you go on a fight with
Novell. Also, if you want to enlist help in a fight, you should do
all the leg work in a well documented fashion so potential enlistees
have all the details they need to believe your cause.

In this case, I don't think you have cause, unless the agreement you
cite is not this same one I am looking at.

Interesting excersize, anyway.

Alan