Moved from KMail to Thunderbird

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Moved from KMail to Thunderbird
After the encryption presentation and attempting to once again
integrate PGP/MIME types to KMail, and failing, I migrated to
Thunderbird.

It was not directly easy because about half of my mail archive in
KMail was stored in maildir format and Thunderbird needs mbox
format. Googling around I found this python script (Thanks ragarshi!):

http://blue.chem.psu.edu/~rajarshi/code/python/kmail2thb.py

It runs through your KMail archive tree, copying mbox folders and
converting, then copying the maildir folders to your Thunderbird
'Local Folders' tree.

One tip about the script. The command line help states:

"By default, KMail's inbox, outbox, sent-mail and drafts folders are
ignored. To make sure that everything gets converted, specify '' to
the -i option"

I did this and the script did not process the mentioned folders
anyway. :^( My solution was to make a "KMailinbox" and
"KMailsent-mail" folder in KMail, copy all the real inbox and
sent-mail folder contents to these and then run the script. That
got the mails over and I can move them where I want in Thunderbird.

After installing the Enigmail addon to Thunderbird I am now signing
my emails without having to type in my pass phrase (it's long) every
single mail! (KMail would ask for the phrase every time without the
PGP/MIME integration that I could not get to work in the amount of
time I wanted to spend on it.)

Alan