Re: Need help with the GIMP

Author: Bart Garst
To: PLUG Discuss
Subject: Re: Need help with the GIMP
On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 08:08, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:
> I've fiddled and searched for hours for an answer to this problem.
> Maybe someone here knows the GIMP or can tell me where to look.
>
> I have a square photo of a flower. I have used the elliptical tool to
> make a circle around the flower, inside the square perimeter of the
> picture. The part of the picture outside the circle is unneeded
> background. If I click the quickmask button that area turns red. I
> want to save the contents of the circle and remove or crop-out the
> masked area.
>
> What I want to end up with is a round, cameo-shaped photo. How do I
> accomplish that?

Copy your eliptical selection and paste it into a new image. Make sure
you select a transparent background for you new image.

You can also feather the selection to give it a fade-out appearance.

> I'd like to do more to it, like put a picture-frame effect around it,
> but I don't understand even the basics of layers.

Imagine a printed photograph. Now place a transparent piece of plastic
over that photo. You can write on the plastic and it appears as if you
wrote on the photo.

Layer's work in a similar fashion. The enable you to modify the image,
while preserving the original state of the image.

I can do frames, but my technique is clumsy at best. If anyone else
knows how, please speak up.

FWIW, I found a book at Fry's (but I've also seen it at Barne's &
Nobel). It's part of the "Visual Quickstart Guide" series.

This book has been very helpful when I work with gimp.

Bart