How to enable Power Control ACPI/APM features

+ (text/html)
Author: y meng
To: plug-discuss
Subject: How to enable Power Control ACPI/APM features
I just installed 10.1 on a Sony VAIO box (PCV RX651, 1.7GHz, 256M RAM). I'm a
newbie. I installed it off a DVD.

With the previous XP system on the box, the CPU fan runs at high speed ONLY
during re-boot or some intensive operations. 99% of the time the fan runs at
low speed. One touch on the power button put it to standby. There is also
hibernation feature.

However, with the new Linux installed, the fan always goes at high speed.

Based on my search, all of these features are realted to ACPI/APM and are
supported by Linux kernel 2.4 (and later). However, I don't know how to make
them work in Mandrake 10.1. I checked under /etc/lilo.conf, a line like:
append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda5 splash=silent" appeared in several
sections. That's about all I can find with regard to acpi.

Please help. I would like:
1. to set power options, so that CPU fan doesn't run constantly at high
speed. The noise drives me crazy
2. enable standby and hibernation features.

Thanks in advance!

Discover Yahoo!