Re: making a favicon

Author: Don Calfa
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: making a favicon
There's a number of ways to do it.

A Favicon needs to be 64x64, 32x32, and/or 16x16 pixels.
IE is the only browser that uses the 16x16 size.
The .ico format is a windows icon file. Like the gif, it can be
animated but only in the context as a windows icon. I used to use
Microangelo to make them on Windows years ago.

1. Google for png2ico. There is a Linux version that you can use. You
can layer a 32x32 with a 16x16 icon so that IE sees the 16x16 and the
other browsers see the 32x32 icon.
2. Save your icon as an 8bit BMP then rename to *.ico. You won't be
able to use transparent colors this way.
3. Take your image and use Kiconedit to resize and save. I seem to
remember that an older version a few years back you could be able to
save as an .ico. Reason I remember this is that I made quite a few
favicons for our websites on Linux because all the Windows versions I
found cost $$$ and that was back in 2002.