Text SSL browser for Slackware 8

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Text SSL browser for Slackware 8
A somewhat unusual request, perhaps, but this is the best place to ask!
Does anyone have a compiled binary of a text only browser (Lynx or Links
or whatever) with SSL capability that will run on Slack 8?

I have a 50MHz 486 ThinkPad with Slackware 8 installed on it. A very
minimal Slack 8. No GUI. No lots of stuff. Anyway, the Lynx browser
doesn't have support for SSL so I can't go to any secure web pages with
it. I'd like to do that.

During the Devel meeting I downloaded the latest Lynx source with SSL and
ran the configure on it, which worked. When I attempted to let it
compile at home, the make failed with some library dependencies and who
knows what else. I don't use the little thing enough to solve this
problem but I still want to surf with SSL.

So, my question. Can anyone help? Or, where is a good place to get such
a compiled binary?

Alan