RE: Need help from Debian pros!

Author: Francois, Jean (J.L.)
To: plug-discuss
Subject: RE: Need help from Debian pros!

>Do I have to do a dist-upgrade at some point to stay with testing?
>

>You should be doing dist-upgrades at least once in a while if you're
>tracking testing or unstable. I do upgrade and dist-upgrade almost

every
>day on my testing machines. I seldom have problems.
>

>Minor point I have made on the list before. Running dist-upgrade

especially on testing and unstable can be VERY dangerous if you are not
tracking the
>development of Debian. Look through the archives of this list alone to

see the number of people that come crying after performing that
operation and walk
>away not liking Debian. Hans is 100% correct that it does need to be

run once in a while to get the "good stuff". I strongly suggest first
running apt-
>get upgrade then doing an apt-get -u dist-upgrade and see what packages

it wants to pull. Possibly even research and make sure they don't have
massive
>crippling bugs filed against them. ; )
>
>Also, do as Hans says and use sarge instead of testing in your sources

list. This will make for a smoother transition.

>-Derek

Install apt-listbugs:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/admin/apt-listbugs

This will let you see what you can do safely and pick what goes in or
doesn't...

--
Jean L. Francois Sends...
- Enterprise Platform Engineering & Certification ( LINUX )