Kontact versus Mozilla Suite

Author: Mark Phillips
To: PLUG
Subject: Kontact versus Mozilla Suite
I have been using the Mozilla suite (calendar, email, browser) for
awhile. I thought I would try Kontact (kdepim) because I have read good
things about it, and it would allow me to print calendars.

I installed kdepim (Debian testing) and managed to transfer all my
email, contacts, calendars, etc from Mozilla into Kontact. The only
issue is Kontact is reeeeeeeaaaaaaallllllllyyyyyyyy slow. I mean
unusably slow. Downloading 100 email messages takes many minutes whereas
with Mozilla it take many seconds. I can barely keep up with the
scrolling of the messages with Mozilla - with Kontact I can go out and
get a cup of coffee and come back and not miss a message. I have tried
Evolution as well, and it is just as fast as Mozilla. Selecting a set of
50 email messages and marking them as spam completes in a blink of an
eye with Mozilla. With Kontact I am still waiting for it to finish
(about 15 minutes so far). Also, Kontact stops responding to menu
selections as it downloads mail or classifies mail as spam.

Has anyone else had this problem or seen this rather strange behavior? I
certainly did not read anything about Kontact being really slow when I
was researching it.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Mark Phillips