Re: Centos and the Intel e1000 nic?

Author: Kevin Brown
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Centos and the Intel e1000 nic?
> I'm totally retarded and can't seem to get my fancy new server box to
> the network.
>
> The nic card, an Intel e1000-type, won't load... and the page at Intel
> doesn't seem to help. The driver itself is present on the system, but
> when I try to insmod it can't find the file.
>
> modprobe e1000 doens't throw any errors... but it's not obvious what do
> do with the network from there.
>
> Any tips for working through this?

modprobe e1000
lsmod - lists the loaded modules
dmesg - useful system information messages (such as devices being found)
ifconfig - see if the interface has come awake after the module is
loaded (usually with the -a flag).

after that, you need to configure it and bring it up
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<ifname> <- holds the config for
the device (e.g. ip address, netmask, gateway, etc...)

ifup <ifname>