Re: Close (complete) a DVD?

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Close (complete) a DVD?
Jared Anderson said:
> Check the cdrecord option -msinfo (which calls mkisofs, I believe)
>
> So maybe its just:
> cdrecord -msinfo
>
> From cdrecord's man page:
>
> ====================-multi
>
> Allow multi session CDs to be made. This flag needs to be present on all
> sessions of a multi session disk, except you want to create a session
> that will be the last session on the media....
> ===================To me, this implies if you create another session w/o
> using the -multi option, it will close the disk; however, I don't know
> if you can do this without adding more data. Beware, many dvd drives
> (including burners) can only read the first session of a multi-session
> dvd.
>
> You may also want to check out growisofs.
>
> Something similiar to:
> growisofs -M /dev/dvd -R -J /more/files
>
> This command appends more - check the man pages of both growisofs and
> mkisofs to learn how close it.
>

> I think the easiest solution would be to use K3b. ;)

I will look at all of this, along with Joseph's "cdrecord -fix"

The funny thing is that I used K3b to create this DVD-R. The short story is:

- I made a DVD-RW and was happy with it.
- I used K3b to "copy" the DVD-RW but told it to just make the ISO file
and not burn the destination.
- Then I used K3b Tools->DVD->Burn DVD ISO image... (or something like
that) to burn the DVD-R.
-- I left the "Writing Mode" setting on "Auto" when burning the DVD-R.

In the end:
- I had the original DVD-RW with one session and status "complete"
- And the DVD-R copy with two sessions (sesssion 2 empty) and status
"appendable"

???

So, running low on blank DVD-Rs, I'd like to just close of this one I
already burned. I'll see what I can do with it tonight.

Alan