Re: Multifunction Device Support in Linux

Author: der.hans
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Multifunction Device Support in Linux
Am 22. May, 2005 schwätzte Joseph Sinclair so:

> I'd really take a good look at the HP multifunction devices. There's a
> major open-source effort (GPL-compatible licenses), sponsored directly
> by HP, to get all of the HP printing and multifunction equipment fully

Sponsored by HP? Most cool.

> working in Linux, including all major features and the device status
> information. There's a compatibility list that lists all of the latest
> HP multifunction devices, and several really good ones, like the HP
> Laserjet 3015, 3020, 3030, and 3380 have support for both printing and
> scanning (although faxing is still a little ways off). They don't
> mention the new Color Laserjet 2820 multifunction device, but there's at
> least some hope that device will be added in shortly.

The compatability list claims several of the all-in-one (PSC) models are
working under the GPLd drivers. We will definitely consider these!

> I'm not a rabid HP fan by any stretch, but I am exceptionally pleased at
> their relatively strong commitment to providing good Linux support for
> their equipment, and their willingness to make that support open source
> (even if they're a little slow in publicizing it).

I'm glad to reward them for it. What I'd seen thus far made it seem like
epson was the most Free Software friendly. The HP Linux Printing Project
sure indicates to me that HP is even more proactively Free Software
friendly.

It also lists bubble jets in the same category as what we were looking at.

danke,

der.hans
#  You can't handle the source! - der.hans