Re: Best server distro...?

Author: Matt Alexander
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Best server distro...?
Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

>On Thu, 19 May 2005, Matt Alexander wrote:
>

>>We primarily use CentOS and Whitebox for our dev/test boxes. We're a
>>large Oracle shop and the production servers run RH Enterprise. Since
>>CentOS has the same packages as RH Ent. and is updated frequently, it's
>>a good way for us to do preliminary testing without worrying about OS
>>differences as we move to production.
>>We're also in the process of setting up our own up2date server to
>>simplify the deployment of apps developed in-house.
>>

>Can you update or switch to and from CentOS, Whitebox, and Red Hat
>Enterprise easily?
>
>Can you upgrade from a Enterprise to CentOS just by changing your yum (or
>similar) configurations? And visa versa?
>
>If so, please share some examples on what you configure and approximately
>how much downtime.
>
>Or do you have to reinstall from scratch?
>
>I am curious if you can do an upgrade on a production server to a
>different distro based on same Enterprise source RPMs.

I've always just reinstalled from scratch. The RPMs are all built from
the same RedHat Ent. source RPMs so there's very little, if any,
difference between package A on CentOS and package A on RedHat ES. A
few of the RPMs have "centos" or "WB" in the name, which, I believe,
previously contained copyrighted RedHat content that has subsequently
been removed. I download RPMs from dag.wieers.com all the time that
were built for RH ES 3 or ES 4 and run them on Whitebox and CentOS
without any problems.
~M

--
Get Firefox!