Re: Where to Place a Samba Share for a Windows World?

Author: Patrick Fleming, EA
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Where to Place a Samba Share for a Windows World?

George wrote:
> In the Linux scheme of things, when a Linux server is presenting a portion
> of its hard drive to a Windows world (Samba) where should the share go on
> the Linux box?

Where do you want it to go?
The biggest thing here is what do you want to share? I have a machine
serving samba shares, both public and private. There isn't really a lot
that I share across it. I prefer to access it using ssh, but that's a
different matter.

> One thought would be:
>
> /windowsshare
>
> - or -
>
> /usr/share/windowsshare
>
> Are there security issues here or does it matter?

I have found that one cannot browse above the shared directory which is
a good thing. It also means that whatever you want to share should all
be "logically" organized. The better it is thought through in advance
the happier you should find yourself with it.