Re: Gentoo Filesystem Setup

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Gentoo Filesystem Setup
Root (should be) written to rarely. The extra reliability of ReiserFS comes at a cost, and it's not well justified for the root partition, it's also not as well supported by the various backup and recovery tools, yet.
/boot is almost exclusively read-only, so there's no reason to carry the overhead of a journaling filesystem, hence the ext2 recommendation. There used to be problems with journalling filesystems on /boot, but this is no longer the case.
/home is likely to have pretty constant read/write/rewrite activity, so the extra reliability of Reiser is both valuable, and worth the overhead.

I'd also recommend allocating 10G or so on the second disk for /var and /tmp, and load it up with ext3 or ReiserFS, just to move the heavy activity in those directories onto the second disk.