Re: very slow initial connection, then all is well

Author: Bill Earl
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: very slow initial connection, then all is well
For now, anyway, this will be my summary of this issue.

Why? Because the problem has gone away.

As reported below, adding client machines to the hosts file made the
connection speed as fast as normal, but that was just a band aid. I
needed to find what had changed.

This morning I was planning to make some changes to the hosts.allow file
to try to get around the apparent slow reverse dns lookup. However, the
connections are all back to normal speed, even without any entries for
clients in the hosts file.

Of course, this makes no sense. However, since there are computers
involved, it sort of does make sense. I had joked yesterday morning
that if we just waited one day the problem would go away, and it turns
out I was correct. The Windows domain controller that is acting as our
internal dns server has nothing in its logs to indicate there were any
problems. Definitely nothing changed in the configuration of any of the
systems overnight, but yesterday this problem mysteriously appeared, and
today it is mysteriously gone.

Still, I learned a little bit more about the hosts.allow file, and we
had no real negative impact on work from the problem, so I'll call that
a positive, and write it off as "One of those computer things" as
depicted in this PvP cartoon:

http://www.pvponline.com/archive.php3?archive=20040530

Bill