Re: source for rackmount server locally

Author: Sam Mulvey
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: source for rackmount server locally

On May 12, 2005, at 3:45 PM, Simon Chatfield wrote:

> Thanks for helping me discover the meaning of life....
> but I'm not going to tell you what it is. :)
>
> Where did you get it Sam? Good system/price/service?

Hee. I didn't want to contribute to *too* much OT. And I'm a bit
scatterbrained today.. I'm moving again, which never helps my long
term concentration. :) As it turns out, there was a place that sold
reconditioned rack mount servers a *block* from the colo facility we
use, which is where I happened to be at the time.

http://www.southwestcomputersolutions.com/index.shtml

I paid $250 for an Dell Poweredge 2450 with dual 866's, half a gig of
RAM, and two 18G SCSI's in them. I checked online and that *seemed*
to be about the going rate on ebay and such. Not having to worry
about shipping or uh, even driving particularly far was a consideration.

They had a bunch of interesting things over there.  Tried to sell me
a pretty nice Sun cabinet.   The PDU was 220, and I don't think it'll
fit in my closet, so I passed.    Though, I would like a wet bar at
some point, so I may reconsider.

The purpose I'm using it for requires a little more disk space than
the two 18's it came with, so I'm going to hit Fry's tonight and hack
in an SATA drive. Then, into the cabinet it goes.

Once again, thanks a bunch for your help, folks.

--
Sam Mulvey