Re: Need help with mount and /etc/fstab

Author: Eric \"Shubes\"
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Need help with mount and /etc/fstab
Mark,
I'm at a loss for any other suggestions. As I said before, I know
nothing about ipods. gtkpod developers should be of some help. Good luck
with it, and let us know how you make out.

Mark Phillips wrote:
> The directories have some other directories, but all of them are empty.
> I did a chmod -R when I made the changes.
>
> I am not sure how to proceed outside of the three options I outlined.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts!
>
> Mark
>
> Eric "Shubes" wrote:
>
>> I think that it's encouraging that this conforms to another system.
>>
>> What about the contents of those directories? I'm thinking that
>> permissions there might be restrictive. chmod -R will do a recursive
>> change.
>>
>> Let me know.
>>
>> P.S.
>> #1 I doubt that will help.
>> #2 sounds dangerous. I wouldn't do unless I had a backup to restore with.
>> #3 Who knows, but I doubt it.
>>
>> Mark Phillips wrote:
>>
>>> Eric,
>>>
>>> I changed the permissions on some of the files and gtkpod still
>>> cannot do what it wants to.
>>>
>>> This is what I have right now. This also conforms to what a user on
>>> #debain has on his ipod, except he has a vfat system, so no .journal,
>>> .journal_info_block and .Trashes. gtkpod still cannot initialize the
>>> Calendars, Contacts, Notes and iPod_Control directories. Also, the
>>> -------------- for .journal and .journal_info_block are strange - not
>>> sure what that means
>>>
>>> softball:/# ls -al /media/ipod0
>>> total 1029
>>> drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10 May 6 13:08 .
>>> drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 May 6 07:53 ..
>>> d-wx-wx-wt 1 99 99 3 Apr 7 2004 .Trashes
>>> ---------- 1 root root 8388608 Jan 15 2004 .journal
>>> ---------- 1 root root 4096 Jan 15 2004 .journal_info_block
>>> drwxrwxrwx 1 emily emily 2 Dec 28 1962 Calendars
>>> drwxrwxrwx 1 emily emily 4 Jan 23 1963 Contacts
>>> drwxrwxrwx 1 emily emily 3 Jan 23 1963 Notes
>>> drwxrwxrwx 1 emily emily 5 May 5 13:30 iPod_Control
>>> softball:/#
>>>
>>> Some ideas; not sure which one to pursue first:
>>>
>>> 1. Change ownership of .journal, .journal_info_block and .Trashes to
>>> emily.emily. Make emily.emily own everything.
>>> 1A. chmod a+rwx for all files on the device and owner.group=emily.emily
>>> 2. Delete all the files in /media/ipod0 and have gtkpod recreate
>>> them. I have no idea what that will do to the ipod.

-Eric 'shubes'
"There is no such thing as the People;
  it is a collectivist myth.
  There are only individual citizens