Re: CD media woes on laptops

Author: stu
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: CD media woes on laptops
On Monday 02 May 2005 14:52, Eric "Shubes" wrote:
> Andy Guerriero wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop that I have been trying to install
> > Linux on, rather unsuccessfully I might add. The problem seems to be
> > with the CD media I am choosing to use. Specifically - when I burn
> > ISO images onto CDs and try to install from them, the install fails.
> > I have used checksums to make sure my images are clean.
> >
> > I have tried:
> > Fedora Core 3 - failed on disc 2
> > Slackware 10.1 - failed on disc 1
> >
> > However, when I tried installing an old version of SuSE 8.0 that I
> > have store-bought CDs for, it works. But I don't want SuSE 8.0
> > because it has some very strange problems.
> >
> > Anyone know what might be causing this? The failures seem to occur
> > when the internal CD drive (mounted as \dev\hdc) can no longer access
> > files on the burned CD reliably.
> >
> > Please disgard any and all dangling prepositions in this post.
> >
> > Andy Guerriero
>
> Sometimes burning the CD at a slower speed makes it more reliably read
> by older drives.

I have had similar troubles, and as near as I can determine it seems to be
that some (cheaper) brands of CD media are more sensitive to heat than
others. I have had some of my burned CDs work fine the first time only to
fail later after the computer and CD drive have warmed up, especally when
burning and loading multi-disk distros. I plan to add more cooling fans and
purchase higher quality media to see if this resolves the issue.
Stu