Re: IPCop v1.4.5 Configuration

Author: Craig White
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: IPCop v1.4.5 Configuration
On Sun, 2005-05-01 at 20:42 -0700, Wagner, Steven G wrote:

> I just got my IPCop up this morning, but I'm not sure how to disable ping
> requests. Does anyone know offhand how to do this?
>
> Also, any other suggestions in regards to securing IPCop would be greatly
> appreciated as I am new to IPCop and networking in general.
>
> My Network=
>
> Net --> IPCop --> switch --> PIII/WindozeXP & Sempron/WindozeXP.
>
> At www.grc.com ShieldsUp!'s port scan revealed that my port 113 was
> responding, but the connection was closed. I read a bit about port 113 and
> decided to redirect any requests to that port to another unusable IP. Now
> all ports show stealth mode.
>
> TIA for any help, this group is great! I'm eagerly anticipating the day when
> I know enough to give more than I take in here!

----
ipcop by design has already taken care of security issues if you respect
the red/green/orange interface concept...

red    - internet/insecure
orange - dmz - internet/insecure
green  - your lan / secure

port 113 is identd port and has traditionally been left open so systems
can identify your existence. Redirecting to an unusable ip makes little
sense - better to simply reject port 113.

want more info?
<http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Reference/Networking/Misc/IDENT/default.htm>

Craig