Re: Hope the installfest was good!

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Hope the installfest was good!
Mike Hoy wrote:

>> Also, please suggest that people come early (i.e. by noon at least).
>> Yesterday one person came at 3:45 looking for help with a Mepis/USB
>> issue. That didn't leave much time (or people remaining) to help.
>>
> what was the outcome of the usb/mepis issue? Did you get his printer
> working?

I couldn't stay so don't know the outcome. But here's a couple of
thoughts anyway.

1. Only the older versions of Mepis are free. You pay for the current
version, so that might have been an issue. I don't know what version
was installed.

2. The CF card he had looked like a USB-enabled Lexar with the special
USB cable Lexar makes for those cards. Compatibility problems? I don't
know.

3. Some of the normal things I always try (consulting dmesg and
restarting hotplug) seems not to work on Mephis or just worked
differently than I'm use to. Guess I need to learn where a Debian based
distro puts the hotplug script, for one thing. <g>

Dennisk

Dennis