Re: Help correcting system time

Author: Dale Farnsworth
To: Mike Garfias, plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Help correcting system time
On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 12:32:21AM +0000, Mike Garfias wrote:
> [root@lizard: ~]# hwclock
> Thu Apr 28 17:34:56 2005 -0.107084 seconds
> [root@lizard: ~]# hwclock --utc
> Thu Apr 28 17:35:11 2005 -0.331458 seconds

It looks like --utc is the default for your system. As the man page
says, hwclock defaults to --utc or --localtime depending on which
was most recently specified while setting the hardware clock.

> [root@lizard: ~]# date
> Thu Apr 28 17:30:53 MST 2005

And your system time is about 5 minutes behind your hardware clock.

> It looks like --utc doesn't work right (running debian sarge).

Looks ok to me. hwclock always displays time in local time. If you
tell hwclock that hardware clock is kept in UTC, hwclock adjusts for
the current timezone before displaying the time; if you tell hwclock
that the hardware clock is kept in localtime, hwclock makes no
such adjustment before displaying the time.

-Dale