Re: Help correcting system time

Author: Jeremy C. Reed
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Help correcting system time
On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Siri Amrit Kaur wrote:

> OK. I don't know how to set the hw clock to GMT. If it's done in BIOS, I
> don't have an option for GMT; I'll have to find out what GMT is in
> relation to MST. If it's done somewhere else than the BIOS, then where?
> How?

You don't have to do in BIOS itself. See my earlier message example:

date --utc -s "hour:minute:seconds"
hwclock --utc --systohc

So for me here in Seattle area, it is 12:56:22 PDT and 19:56:33 UTC.

I could run:

date --utc -s "19:56:33" # or date -s 12:56:22
hwclock --utc --systohc

It is normal practice for Unix systems to have their hardware clock in
UTC.

Then set up your /etc/localtime for example:

cp /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Phoenix /etc/localtime

or

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Phoenix /etc/localtime

Have fun!

Jeremy C. Reed

                 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
                http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/