Re: External CD-ROM at Installfest

Author: Dennis Kibbe
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: External CD-ROM at Installfest

--- Siri Amrit Kaur <> wrote:

From: Siri Amrit Kaur <>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:02:38 +0000
Subject: External CD-ROM at Installfest

Does anybody have an external CD-ROM I could use at the Installfest this
Saturday?

A very kind person gave me an older laptop. I'm bringing it to the Installfest
to get something installed on it. I got a wireless card for it. It has a
working floppy drive but the CD-ROM drive is broken.

It looks like the only ways I can get something installed is to use floppies
for a start, followed with a netinstall, or (better) borrow an external
CD-ROM for a little while.

Thanks,
Siri Amrit

Siri,

You can also connect an external hard drive to the laptop via USB. If necessary tranfer the Slackware tree over to the hard drive and do the install from that mounted partition. You can also copy the ISO over and mount it locally. Most distros have a way of working around not having a working CD-ROM.

I'll be there Saturday and can help you with it. What distro do you want to install? I'll put it on my MEGA-DISTRO HDD.

Dennis