Re: Qestion on Restrictions on using GLP code / models

Author: Joseph Sinclair
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Qestion on Restrictions on using GLP code / models
Start with the GPL FAQ at (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html),
you'll find some of your questions answered there.
Also read the GPL, if you have concerns, reading the license is the best
place to start (unlike many license that require a law degree to even
halfway understand).

In regard to services:
First, Copyright only applies to the copyrighted work and it's
distribution. Provided you don't distribute a copy of a work or a
derived work, copyright, generally, doesn't apply.

Consider a website, that charges a fee to access proprietary content
(say videos of sports, or specialized stock research). Suppose that site
is built using a GPL CMS, runs on GNU/Linux, uses a GPL firewall,
encodes the videos using GPL software, distributes the video content
using OGG/Theora, and stores everything in a GPL database backend. Then,
currently, they have no requirement to release anything under GPL. If
they then distributed their "solution" to others, they would be required
to release any source code changes to the tools to those same persons
under the GPL, but their content is not affected.

A simpler example; you use the GIMP to create "The Great 21st Century
Masterpiece"(tm), you had to patch the GIMP to get it working on your
"O'Neal Linux"(tm) system, and you post the modified version on your
website for "O'Neal Linux"(tm). The copyright to your "The Great 21st
Century Masterpiece"(tm) is completely unencumbered. The website for
"O'Neal Linux"(tm) must release the source code for your modified GIMP
version in compliance to the GPL license under which the GIMP was
offered to you.

What the GPL v3 is likely to change is that, in the first scenario, by
delivering a service using GPL software, the new license *may* require
that you provide the source code for any changes to the code used to
deliver that service under GPL. What this would mean is that they would
not have to distribute their "solution" in order to trigger the GPL
release requirement, they would only need to deliver services using
their "solution".

One other note, business models cannot be copyrighted. Code that
implements a model, can be, but the model itself could only be patented
(although it *shouldn't*). GPL applies to software source code. There
are other licenses to apply to other types of copyrighted works, and
some are working on a "free" patent license, but the GPL is specific.

There are not, and will not, be restrictions on the ability to profit
from GPL code. The only restriction on profit from GPL code arises from
competition. Since anyone else can distributed the same code, you have
to compete on real issues of service and support to generate competitive
advantage (which translates to profit), rather than competing unfairly
through a copyright monopoly.

Final analysis, if you want to create proprietary software, don't modify
GPL code to do so. Even if you don't plan to distribute the code
currently, you may want to in the future, and you wouldn't be able to do so.

One other thing, If you plan to work on software code, be very careful
about repeat implementations. If you write (or closely examine) code
that accomplishes a task, and later write code to accomplish the same
task. If the subsequent code is found to be sufficiently similar, then
the code may be determined to be a "copy" of the original. The courts
tend to flip-flop on this issue, so it's not guaranteed, but it's
definitely possible. That doesn't mean don't work on code, just don't do
the exact same thing on different projects unless you create the code
independently. You can always re-license your own work, if you own the
original copyright, but you cannot relicense work owned by others. there
are a few limited references to this issue on the GNU site, mostly
because employers are getting more and more expansive in their claims to
copyright on employees' work, some even claim all work you ever do,
past, present, future, which becomes pretty nasty if you think about it.

Disclaimer:
IANAL, you should consult a qualified attorney for legal advice relevant
to your specific circumstances.

BTW: if you're working for a corporation, you may be able to ask for an
opinion from their corporate counsel without paying a fee, that's what
corporate counsel is for.