Re: Closed formats (Was: Re: Shockwave on Linux)

Author: Alan Dayley
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: Closed formats (Was: Re: Shockwave on Linux)
On Sunday 24 April 2005 01:08 pm, wrote:
> My belief is that we need to merely subsidize content creators. Offer
> an incentive (we'll buy your copyright for $xxx to void it), and a
> stick (IP licence income from non-state-subsidy approaches is taxed at
> 500 percent).

I disagree with this idea. Copyright and patent are government granted
monopolies. I, as a taxpayer, already "subsidize" a content creator by
granting them a monopoly for a "limited time." If the content creator
cannot then create a successful business model on that monopoly, that's
his problem.

IMO the solution would include some sort of truely "limited time" instead
of this 90 years after the death of the creator stuff.

Alan