Re: NdisWrapper for Wireless HowTo

+ (text/html)
Author: Donn Shumway
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Re: NdisWrapper for Wireless HowTo
Yes, WPA using a PSK is working. The out of the box driver and all the
wireless tools only support WEP. But, by adding wpa_supplicant with a
minimal config, it works without any issues. You wouldn't believe how many
combinatins of drivers, and configs I went thorugh on Suse. I finally
resorted to Tech Support on DriverLoader and they sent me a driver that
didn't work either. The Dell driver was identified by a very helpfule user
on the ndiswrapper wiki.

LSPCI reports my Airlink card as 'Atheros AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)'.
Using ndiswrapper, I could get it to recognize the network, but could not
reliably pass any data (yet). I have spent only a small amount of time
trying to configure it, since the Broadcom now works. But, on the
ndiswrapper wiki, there are many references to this chipset/card working.
Keep in mind, that the term 'working' can be very subjective.

Here is the wiki for ndiswrapper:
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/List

and the data on the card:
*Card:* Airlink101 Total 802.11 Super G, 108Mbs Model# AWLH4030
*Chipset:* Atheros AR5212
*pciid:* 168c:0013
*Driver:* net5211 from
http://www.netgate.com/support/Drivers/Atheros/atherosv24driver.zip
*Other:* I couldn't get the card to work with the driver on the CD, so I
tried the driver from the above website. It has worked flawlessly since I
installed it. I am running Fedora Core 3.

Good luck.

On 4/24/05, Eric Shubes <> wrote:

> It's certainly far from easy. Unless, of course, your wireless device
> contains a chipset for which there *are* linux drivers. ;) Prism and
> orinoco come to mind. Broadcom is a real "stick in the mud".
>
> There were two Dell Latitute (i600?) notebooks at the IF yesterday that
> had Ubunto installed. One wireless worked, the other didn't. They were
> apparently identical, until we looked "under the hood" (lspci -v). One
> had Intel wireless, the other Broadcom (both built-in). Turned out, the
> guy with the Intel had ordered it specifically with the Intel wireless
> chipset. He didn't know how smart that move was at the time.
>
> I'm curious, Donn. Apparently WPA is working with linux/ndiswrapper on
> the Broadcom?
> (WEP is finally working for my ACX111 (TI), but WPA isn't there yet)
>
> Also, which chipset is in your AWLC4030?
>
> Donn Shumway wrote:
>
> > Although I can appreciate the opinion of Veronica Mars ;), and of the
> > latest Linux distro flavor of the month, Wireless on Linux is hardly
> > easy. It's a hornet's nest out there.
> >
> > I have a Fujitsu N3010 with a Broadcom BCM4306 which works perfectly on
> > the dark side. I have a few requirements on how wifi should work for my
> > network. First, my wifi router is already setup with WPA PSK encryption
> > and it needs to work the same on Linix or I have to change it every time
> > I want to login. Second, my host does not broadcast it's SSID and I
> > don't want to change that either.
> >
> > I struggled with setting up wifi on it with Suse 9.2 for a month and
> > gave up. I even tried the Linuxant Driverloader and could not get it to
> > work. I finally wiped Suse off the disk and went with someting I am
> > familiar with that has supposedly worked for other in this combination,
> > Madr[ake]iva, and their latest incarnation 2005 LE. I have used Mandrake
> > for years and I am very familiar with it (use what you know when there's
> > a problem). I went through the same steps as I did with Suse and it
> > would not work with any of the three drivers I had. Then, digging
> > through the ndiswrapper wiki, I found reference to a Dell driver for
> > this chipset. I downloaded it, installed it, loaded the module, and
> > Bingo, everything worked. Go figure.
> >
> > I also have a PMCCIA Airlink AWLC4030 and have not gotten close to
> > getting it to work yet (with any reasonable encryption) at full speed.
> >
> > The moral is, it is not easy to setup wifi on Linux. Your chipset,
> > distribution, driver loading method, encryption level, speed, and
> > security configuration all combine to make it much more complex than it
> > should be.

-Eric 'shubes'

--
Donn
"Sarcasm is the safe alternative to expressing anger."