Installfest install check list

Author: Bryan.ONeal@asu.edu
To: plug-discuss
CC: ASULUG
Subject: Installfest install check list
I was thinking of coming up with some post-install reminders, and this is what
I have. Would some one like to add to it?

1.    Confirm that all OSs boot
2.    Create user account for daily work (Usually done during install)
3.    Check if network is setup properly and computer can connect to the Internet
4.    Setup e-mail
    Configure Email client Notes:
        Do they want IMAP or POP?
        If POP will this client or another (windows) be removing the
messages from the server?
        Do they need Exchange connectivity?
5.    Does scroll mouse work?
6.    Run scanmodem to see if modem is supported under Linux [Again, we have no
analog lines for testing :(  ]
7.    Does X start properly (run xorgconf if needed)
8.    Set up IM client for them
9.    Setup printer and print test page
10.    Setup Video player (MPlayer or other) with QT/WM/RM codex
11.    Setup Audio Player with MP3 support
12.    Configure browser with popular pluggins, like Flash :)
13.    Configure VPN (if required)
14.    Introduce the user to some of the most popular Linux programs (Firefox,
MPlayer, Open Office, Games (solitaire) , etc.)
15.    If they have a system and network that can support it, perhaps we could
offer to set up Skype or some other Killer App, like Audacity, or Inkscape