p2p hogging bandwith in FC3

Author: Mike Hoy
To: plug-discuss
Subject: p2p hogging bandwith in FC3
I can only compare p2p in FC3 with m$ XP.

And in XP I can run p2p programs and stream music and browse and it
feels as if xp does a better job of dividing up the bandwith between
applications then FC3 does.

note the way I worded: "xp does a better job" I don't mean to even
suggest that xp is better. but by default in my house on my laptop using
things the way i use them xp is doing a 'better' job.

is there a way to dictate to FC3 how it is supposed to be managing the
internet connection between applications? Like to give a numerical
priority to Application A, B, C and so on? Or is it in the way you open
the applications? Application A, is opened before B therefore it
receives a bigger piece of the bandwith...?

I'm new to all this (dual booting xp and linux since september) so it's
time to start getting more about of linux.

any suggestions?

ISP: cox 256k cable internet
laptop: 2.8 ghz compaq 512mb of ram (shared w/ video actual: 384 mb of
ram for OS)
Apps: realplayer(streaming), aMule(p2p file sharing), firefox, thunderbird.
Realplayer just stops working, firefox, t-bird just slow way down, and
aMule keeps on trucking.

mike hoy