Changing order a NIC is loaded?

Author: Jason Spatafore
To: plug-discuss
Subject: Changing order a NIC is loaded?
I was curious...at work, we have some servers where the ports on the ethernet
are in this order when automatically scanned by Linux (Redhat and Suse):

eth2 eth3
eth0 eth1

(These are HP DL380 G4 servers, btw.)

They are labeled this way because the pci bus scans bottom up. (eth0 is the
first port on the first card while eth3 is the second port on the second
card.) What I am curious to know is whether or not you can assign the
ethernet ports differently? For example, I would like the ethernet ports to
be like the following label:

eth0 eth1
eth2 eth3

This is mostly because I read left to right, top to bottom. :) I'm curious if
anyone knows of a way to make such a re-assignment? Keep in mind that these
NIC's use the same drivers. Is this usually done through driver options or
can Linux actually be told to map eth0 to a mac address instead of PCI
placement?

This has been a perplexing issue which has piqued my interest. I haven't found
anything online that will help yet. (My idea was make symbolic links from
ifcfg-ethx to point to custom files...but that faltered because I wouldn't
have a clue what to map to. :) )

I apologize if this content isn't valid for this list. (I think it is...but,
well, you never know what response you'll get when you open your mouth. :) )

--
Sincerely,

Jason Spatafore
http://www.spatafore.net